Garden Board Member Experience
SAVE THE DATE: JUNE 25-26, 2020
HILTON DOWNTOWN PORTLAND, OR
Open to Board Members of Public Gardens Only
Registration Opens March 1, 2020:
Member Pricing: $575 by Early Bird Registration (until April 17)/$650 after that
Non-Members: $100 additional
Last year, the American Public Gardens Association introduced a 1-1/2 day gathering embedded within the Annual Conference just for board members of public gardens.
Here’s what Board members told us they valued:
- * The Public Private Partnerships session I attended was excellent--an exploration of creating partnerships/collaboratives for specific goals shared between/among gardens would be interesting… [I]t seems more gardens could benefit from teaming up in various ways. Boards seem a logical genesis for these possibilities.
- * Session topics were effective seeds, but the most valuable part was exchanging challenges, strategies, best practices, etc. with a broad spectrum of other board members
- * The benchmarking information
- * Simply attending the conference and seeing the scale of it
And here’s some of what they told us they wanted next time:
- * Case studies of garden successes. We can all benefit from not reinventing the wheel and borrowing good ideas
- * How to be a more effective board member
- * Financial implications of policies
The Garden Board Member Experience is interactive, dynamic, with a minimum of PowerPoint presentations and talking heads!
Participants of 2020 Garden Board Member Experience will enjoy:
- * Tours of Portland’s famous Washington Park gardens including Hoyt Arboretum, the International Rose Garden, and the Portland Japanese Garden
- * Plenty of facilitated discussions and networking amongst your board peers
- * Interactive closed-door sessions for board members only
- * Onsite breakfast and lunches and offsite Garden receptions joining with Conference attendees
- * Open-session opportunities to attend a general Conference session
Many of last year’s participants extended their experience by adding Conference days or optional tours to their registration.
Please consider sending 1-2 board members from your garden to the 2020 Experience. Don’t forget to add your board members to your Association member roster so they can log in to register using the member rate. Send Board rosters with emails to firstname.lastname@example.org to get started!